When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time outside. Probably not as much as I should have still, but I had all sorts of fantasies of living during the colonial or pioneer eras of American history, living off the land, wearing dresses all the time, lighting candles and oil lamps and warm fires at night, drinking out of freshwater springs, and gathering berries and wildflowers from the wilderness to keep in baskets and glass jars and clay pots. Being in Shropshire this past week, going out for walks through the fields near Moss Cottage, smelling the fresh damp air and fireplace fires, and watching their gardens come to life with color, birds, and bugs of all sorts in the gorgeous but temperamental May weather took me back to days of roaming the woods behind our house and volunteering at historical homes near Philadelphia (mainly for the costumes). The landscape is also reminiscent of that seen in either film version of Pride and Prejudice and so naturally conjures thoughts of tall handsome 19th century gentlemen declaring their surprising love for willful girls in flowy, mud-stained dresses (doesn’t hurt that the first time I saw the newer film was with Jean and Paul during my first visit here as a junior in college).
So for this week’s giveaway I wanted to do three things: Try my hand at a new craft (well, with the exception of what I did here, even though I don’t show you mine), represent some of the beauty seen around Moss Cottage, and encourage the winner and everyone else to do a little hand writing in the name of all things Jane Austen, pre-email communication, and the lovely scratchy sound of a pen on paper.
So this week’s prize is a set of 4 notecards with my (rather primitive) watercolor representations of some of the flowers I found so stunning–Queen Anne’s Lace, buttercups, thistles (complete with happy hungry bee), and forget-me-nots; PLUS the winner will also receive 4 cards with their chosen monogram painted in watercolors as well! Envelopes included of course.
- Please leave a comment on this post telling me to whom you will send your first handwritten card if you win
- The winner will be chosen at random, but if you leave a comment without including the bit of information requested above, you won’t be entered in the drawing
- Comments close on Wednesday at 6pm EST, the winner will be announced Thursday morning
- All are eligible and I will happily ship internationally!
- Tell your friends, and be sure to check back next Monday as well since I’ll be part of May Giveaway Day with a whole bunch of other awesome bloggers. You’ll have to check out Sew, Mama, Sew for a list of everyone giving stuff away, but there will definitely be some amazing work out there so don’t miss it!